If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Friday, September 22, 2017

My Ramblings: Domineering Men in Books

Domineering Men In Books

Is it just me or is a domineering guy a turn off? I used to let a lot slide, especially in romance novels, but as of a year or so ago I can't let it go. I get legitimately angry at authors who portray these domineering men as swoon worthy love interests. 

Don't get me wrong, I won't call anyone out or go harass their social media. What realistically happens is that I make a mental note that I won't pick up any more books by that author and maybe I hold a grudge. It's one of my special skills. I can still remember that kid who in the seventh grade lost my pen and never gave me a new one. That's how good I am at holding onto grudges. It's probably not healthy, but it's how I cope. 

Onto the rant:

Who the f*ck would want a guy who goes into a pharmacy and after seeing condoms on a shelf mentally says to himself "I'm not getting that. I want a child during our first time". The heroine apparently doesn't get a choice in whether she wants children or not. How is that a good love interest? Is he the one going to be birthing that child? No? Then it's not his decision to make.

I know romance novels are works of fiction, but I like a good dose of reality with my books. Then again, maybe my mind is so set when it comes to women's rights that I overreact. I don't think there's anything wrong with believing in choice when the subject matter is your body.

What happened to having a simple conversation about consent and how far, both parties involved, are willing to go? If that conversation is present in the book, then I can't say anything about it. Regardless if I agree with the action or not, it ceases being my decision to make.

Do you agree or disagree with me?
Do you hold onto grudges?
Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...